If you are looking for an alternative to brown rice, red rice is the perfect pick. This russet-coloured, nutrient-rich rice with a nutty flavor goes well with meats and vegetables. A good source of fibre, red rice meets your iron needs too. Red rice is a perfect addition to your daily diet as it is a whole grain. Whole grains retain the entire grain seed, including the germ, bran, and endosperm.
Red rice contains a component called anthocyanin and hence it is consumed either partially hulled or unhulled. The colour of red rice is due to this component. It has high nutrient content as compared to other rice varieties. Red rice contains red husk and is loaded with the goodness of nature. Let us learn how to cook red rice along with its health benefits and simple recipes to start using this nutritious red rice.
Health benefits of red rice
Red rice is enriched with antioxidants and magnesium. It has several other health benefits.
01. Controls diabetes
Red rice helps in controlling diabetes as it helps in regulating the insulin level. The low glycemic index of red rice helps in controlling the sugar level and is good for diabetic patients.
02. Regulate asthma
Red rice also has several pulmonary benefits. Due to the magnesium content, red rice consumption helps to regulate asthma. It also improves the oxygen circulation in the body.
03. Helps digestion
Red rice is also a great source of fiber and has several digestive functions. It flushes out the toxins in the body and eases the bowel movements.
How to cook red rice
- Wash the red rice in a pan three times and soak the rice in water for one hour.
- Drain the soaked rice and transfer it to a pressure cooker.
- Add 1 part rice to 2 parts water and place this in a pressure cooker
- Cook the rice on a high flame for one whistle.
- Lower the flame and cook for three more whistles.
- Allow the pressure to release naturally
Since red rice is highly nutritious and beneficial to our body, recipes made of red rice are of high demand. Here are two recipes that will satiate your taste buds and makes you healthy and energetic.
- Fields of Gold Red Rice: 1 cup (soaked for an hour)
- Pimentos: 3 no.
- Fields of Gold Rock Salt: 1tsp
- Fields of Gold Organic Cold Pressed Sunflower oil: 2 tbsp
- Mushrooms: 5-6 no.
- Onion: 1 no.
- Fields of Gold Organic Cumin: 1/4 tsp.
- Fields of Gold Black Pepper: ½ tsp
- Fields of Gold Organic Cinnamon: 1 no. approx. of 1inch
- For Garnishing: Black Sesame seeds: 1 tsp
- Pressure cook the rice for two whistles and let it cool
- Heat oil in a pan, add whole spices and roast for couple of mins
- Sauté vegetables, add the cooked rice and stir well till the vegetables and rice is mixed well.
- Serve hot garnished with Black sesame seeds.
- In a large saucepan combine fields of gold – Red Rice, fields of gold – Jaggery, Rock Salt, 3 cups of water and 3 cups of milk.
- Bring to a boil and let it simmer until the mixture boils down to half.
- Add in the rose/kewra water, ground cardamom, cinnamon and coconut milk.
- Simmer again on low flame till the mixture is thickened.
- Garnish with lemon zest.
- Serve warm and enjoy the burst of flavours.