Black rice (Manipur-ChakHao, Tamil-Kavuni): Also known as the ‘Forbidden Rice’, is a rare and innovative variety of rice, with good flavor and texture to enhance the taste of the meal. Black rice offers a high amount of flavonoids, phytonutrients, antioxidants, mineral content such as iron and copper. Rich in dietary fiber, that provides higher satiety when compared to the white rice. Try this nutritious balck rice salad, which is easy to make, healthy and flavourful too.
INGREDIENTS FOR BLACK RICE SALAD
- 150 g black rice
- 4 cm ginger,
- 200 g corn
- 150 g mango, in cubes
- Basil and mint leaves for garnishing
- 2 red chili, seeds removed and cut into small pieces
- pepper and salt
- Place the rice, ginger slices and water into a medium sized pan and turn the heat on high. Bring to the boil and cook the rice. Once cooked, drain and leave to cool.
- Make the dressing by mixing the lime, ginger and vinegar in a measuring cup. Use a stick blender to mix it all.
- Place the rice, mango, basil and red chili together in a bowl. Add half of the dressing and mix it all together.