Serves 4, 12 Buns
- Fields of Gold Mixed Millet Flour: 425gms
- Cinnamon Powder: 8gms
- Salt: 5gms
- Orange peel: 1 tbs candied.
- Organic Jaggery Powder: 70 gms
- Milk:200 ml (100 to activate yeast and rest for kneading)/ Replace with yogurt (100gms) if you are lactose intolerant
- Fresh Yeast: 25gms, 12 gms (if dry)
- Extra virgin olive Oil: About 60gms
- Eggs: 2nos.
- Raisins: About 70gms
- Oil: for basting
- Start by adding a teaspoon full of jaggery to ml 50ml of the milk (water in case of yogurt substitution), heat it till lukewarm, add yeast and keep aside.
- Meanwhile sift together flour, salt, cinnamon powder and make a bay in centre.
- Take the remaining jaggery, melt it slowly and add zested orange peel and lemon rind to it. Cook for a min, strain the zested peels and save the syrup for kneading.
- Combine together all the wet ingredients except the milk: yeast mixture, left over jaggery syrup and eggs in a bowl. Whisk gently.
- Add into the flour and knead. As the oil & and eggs are incorporated, add milk as required, kneading to make a soft, moist dough. Add the raisins and candid peels towards the end of the kneading.
- Cover and prove till the dough has doubled (about 2 hours).
- Punch down the dough and divide into 10 equal sized balls.
- Shape the buns and place on parchment lined baking tray & decorate with flour crosses.
- Prove till the buns have doubled in size.
- Bake at 210*c for 20 mins